Thurston County MRC

Thurston County MRC

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Influenza Countermeasures from a virus point of view!

Hi. I'm Enza, a flu virus, and I can only live vicariously through other living things.  My ancestors may have started out infecting birds or pigs, but my favorite companions are the human kind, especially kids.  Kids help me spread very easily because they are always touching things and putting their hands in their nose and mouth.

Once I get going in your area, I can spread like wildfire.  Every person I infect can manage to infect at least 3 other people before they figure out that they are sick with the flu.  I try to get into a kid first, and then I know I can spread to other kids in school, at the playground, to mom and dad, the babysitter and even grandpa and grandma.  Getting started before the holidays is great, because there is so much traveling, visiting and kissing, and less time to pay attention to washing hands.

Sorry I make you feel lousy for a few days, but that is the way I get around.  By the time your body figures out I am in you and starts fighting me off, it has been 3 or 4 days and I have already gotten a lot of mileage from you.

I am a lot smarter than you think because I figured out how to change just a little bit so that my baby viruses can infect you again next year and you remain clueless.

There is one thing that I cannot tolerate…the flu vaccine.  Ouch, that vaccine is the death of me each year!  The vaccine helps your body recognize that I am not welcome and starts fighting me off before I get a chance to set up house.  How rude!  Where would I be if everyone got the flu shot and I do not have anyone left to infect.

Another thing that scares me is when you cover your mouth when you cough.  If you cover your mouth with your hands, I get to spread out on the next thing you touch.  I wait around to hitch a ride with someone new.  Now if you cough into your sleeve, like I saw some school kids doing, I don’t get to spread out!  Icky sleeves, but that is NOT helpful for my free ride to someone new!

Washing your hands!  What were you thinking?  Washing hands gets rid of me, the flu virus, and protects you from getting infected by my friends and family.  And I thought you were my friend!   Please keep this a secret between us.  If everyone washes their hands, I will have a hard time hitching a free ride.

Whhhaaaaa.......  Here comes Yu know who.... RRruuunnn!

Doctor Yu says cover your cough, wash your hands, stay home when you are sick and get a flu shot when it is available.  This will prevent influenza from spreading...... Wwwwaassshhhh so long little virus!

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhyayaiiii....

 

Diana T. Yu, MD, MSPH

No comments:

Post a Comment